Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sarah in Taiwan (A)


As a mainlander who's currently studying in Taiwan, I find my school life full of unexpected ups and downs. The very moment our plane landed on the ground of Kaohsiung, my whole body couldn't help trembling —— not because of the chilly (it's hot here actually) weather but the strong sense of identity crisis suddenly aroused in me: Being the "First Generation" means you are now out of your comfort zone and have to watch your back non-stop.

That sounds tough, huh?

Yet even though life is not as easy, cheerful hearts can always find a way to entertain themselves: The funniest part is now Sarah enjoys being treated as a FOREIGNER in a place where most people speak the same language as hers——mandarin Chinese. How sarcastic!

The first image Taiwan left me was pretty puzzling (maybe I'm kind of used to ppl yelling at me? bah...): People in Kaohsiung are so polite that I sometimes have to remind myself to stay lady-like and behave elegantly. Here, you don't need to be a high-brow to be refined and well-mannered. No matter from what family background you were raised up, speaking in a soft&gentle way is a MUST, and nice smiles also hit the spot.

As for other stuff, please read an e-mail I wrote in reply to a Canadian friend who asked me about my life details in Kaohsiung. Enjoy!

Hola back Maja,

I'd love to help you get to know Kaohsiung better though I myself am not very familiar with it yet. It struck me the other day that we can actually invite some friends to build up a group on MSN or Skype where people could be more active in sharing experiences and exchanging personal feelings. Of course "life exploring in Kaohsiung" would be the theme. What do you say?

As for my view on the city, the very first image it left me was quite friendly. People speak gently and they seem ready to help others out 24-7. Later on, different aspects of it were gradually revealed, and be them lovely or not, the city of Kaohsiung still remains an interesting place for foreigners like you and me to come for a visit. Also if you are a gourmet, those eyes-dazzling food sold on various night bazzars or night fairs will absolutely satisfy your appetite. Even a glance over the delicacies would be a feast for the eyes.

OH AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT'S DEFINITELY WARMER HERE THAN IN CANADA!!! Actually I was thinking the word WARM was too weak to describe the weather in Kaohsiung. THE SUN NEVER SLEEPS HERE! It can get super hot, like keep-your-body-soaking-wet-all-day-long hot. Imagine that! hahaha, no matter what, I'd say I fancy Kaohsiung, the sunny capital of Taiwan (sometimes mixed feelings are stirred up I have to admit). Anyway, at least it's easier for someone who has TAN CRAZE to realize his or her dream ;-)

One possible advice would be: Don't work your expections up too much. With all its charm and charisma, however, Kaohsiung cannot be really regarded as a sleepless metropolis. Night life here could be a struggle. Hehe, unless you own a car and are able to drive it around as you like. Barbecuing alongside the Love River would be a nice choice or bar-hopping if you are staying right in the center of those newly-developed districts, "Xin Juejiang" for example. Of course shopping malls and restaurants would serve as supplements to fill one's void. Kaohsiung citizens enjoy their leasure time thoroughly and you will quickly fit into the society if you also take a shine to the easy and laid-back lifestyle here.

Last but not least, there are young people everywhere, even in the nursing home I guess? hehe...They love exercising here and you should always be careful when you meet an old person. Remember: they are simply mellow but not senile!

Hopefully you found this helpful and if possible, we can hang out sometime after you guys have arrived.

Will keep you posted with what's new here and interesting places to go.

Best regards,

Sarah


A new day has already unrolled and I'm about to go to sleep. Even dreams here are intriguing....Wanna know more? PLS STAY TUNED!

0 comments: